tls

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Sep 6 23:46:14 UTC 2013

On 09/06/2013 03:43 PM, Patrick Dupre issued this missive:
> Hello,
>
> I installed pure-ftpd on my machine to use the TLS protocle.
> I followed the instructions given in:
> http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-configure-pureftpd-to-accept-tls-sessions-on-fedora-18
> TLS Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  2
>
> but I still cannot ftp by using ftps (filezilla).
>
> Do I need to configure the firewall to open the port?
> in firewall-config, I do not see any tls service.
> However, in system-config-service, I do see 2 service pure-ftpd
> one saying that it is running and one not running (The pure-ftpd service will be started on demand by the xinetd service and ends when it has nothing more to do.)
> Is it normal?

Yes, you have to modify your firewall configuration. For FTPS, you must
allow incoming connections to port TCP port 990. To permit passive FTPS
data, then you must also allow incoming TCP connections for a range of
ports that the server will use for passive data connections. You must
also tell your FTP daemon which ports those are.

I'm not sure how you tell pure-ftpd which ports it can use for passive
connections, but in vsftpd they're specified by the "pasv_min_port" and
"passv_max_port" variables in the vsftpd.conf file.

My server allow passive FTP/FTPS data over ports 20,000-20,100, so my
firewall allows incoming connections for TCP ports 21, 990 and
20000 through 20100. My vsftpd.conf file contains:

	passv_min_port=20000
	passv_max_port=20100

And away we go.
-          "How does that damned three seashell thing work?"         -
-                           -- Sylvester Stallone, "Demolition Man"  -