problem: system freezes. [SOLVED]

William Mattison wcmattison at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 18:37:03 UTC 2013

Good afternoon,

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Yeah, that's typically the driver having issues or memory problems.
> Next, we need to see if you're running the nvidia or nouveau drivers.
> You can look at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and see which driver is
> loaded. Alternately, try (as root):
>
>    lsmod | grep -i nvidia
>
> If you get an output line that contains both "drm" and "nvidia" in it,
> then you're running the nVidia driver. If you get no output, try:
>
>    lsmod | grep -i nouveau
>
> If you get output, then you're running the nouveau driver and it may
> have issues with your hardware. If you decide you want to try the
> nVidia binary driver, then you'll need to install it. Here's a
> reasonable guide as to how to do it. It's for F18, but F19 is similar:
>
> http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2013/fedora-18-nvidia-guide/

After getting side-tracked yesterday, I did this this morning.  Routine use of my Linux system afterwards showed no problems.  I believe this is one of those things that can be proven wrong, but not correct.  So I'm closing this.

Thank-you Joe, linuxnutster, geleem, and especially Rick for your help.
Bill.