desktops (was Re: GNOME Classic & Extensions)

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 09:40:02 UTC 2013

On 16 September 2013 13:41, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-09-15 at 10:32 -0400, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
>> Hey Tim, since you've been here on the list for years, I'm wondering:
>> What DE are you running? Did you move to  GNOME Shell?
>

> I want the traditional, organised, menus.  Not screens of icons.  I want
> the traditional windows and workspace switchers.  I want the taskbar,
> and I want applications to use their own taskbar at the top of their own
> window, and not behave like a Mac with top taskbar that keeps changing
> between desktop taskbar and different application taskbars.
>

> I avoid KDE, because I don't like it.  Old Gnome's defaults were
> reasonably good, I have to configure the wazoo out KDE to make it
> tolerable.  I don't want to do that umpteen times across several
> computers, and I still don't like it's Fisherprice/WindowsXP look, it's
> messy menus, and the plethora of hideously K-named applications.

I switched to KDE around F17 after trying to persevere with Gnome
Shell for a while. I really found it very similar in behaviour to
Gnome 2: applications menu, ability to put quick-start buttons and
gadgets on the taskbar. If you don't like the look you might try the
Caledonia theme that the Fedora Jam spin uses, it has less of the
cartoony appearance (though I always found after a while I just adapt
to a new look anyway).
Media handling is much the same as it was in Gnome 2, capabilities are
similar to Gnome Shell.

> pain, rather than something that just worked.  Plus various applications
> that I wanted to use were Gnome, so using another desktop wouldn't get
> around the heavy Gnome baggage.

Which applications are Gnome, as opposed to GTK? Because it's not the
same thing. The only one I've really found so far is that I slightly
prefer EoG to Okular for image preview, and that's only on two small
irritations that haven't annoyed me enough to put in RFEs for.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk