More UUID madness

Mark Haney MHaney at practichem.com
Thu Sep 19 18:24:34 UTC 2013

I hate top posting, but I have more information that Ihope might help.  I tried the steps in: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2#Encountering_the_dreaded_GRUB_2_boot_prompt
and maybe got closer to a good boot, but I'm still seeing that at some step in the boot process, it wants to find the partitions using UUID in /dev/disk-by-uuid/ or something similar.

Okay, here's something interesting.  I think the problem isn't with the boot process but possibly with the kernel (or kernel module), here's what I'm seeing when trying to boot either normally or with setting up GRUB2 manually from the link above:

localhost systemd[1]: Reached Target Basic System
localhost kernel: ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x1 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen
localhost kernel: ata1.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
localhost kernel: [135B blob data]
localhost kernel: ata1.00: status: { DRDY }

... filter out what appears to be non-essential messages

localhost systemd-udevd[78]: worker [81] /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/ata1/host0/target0:0:0/block/sda timeout; kill it

... the above line is repeated for each partition on /dev/sda (1 through 7)

localhost systemd[1]: job dev-sda6.start timed out.
localhost systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-sda6.device.
localhost systemd[1]: Dependency failed for /sysroot.
localhost systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Initrd Root File System.
localhost systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Reload Configuration from the Real Root.

Does this trigger a thought with anyone on what the problem could be?  I know the drive is good since I can boot to Windows.  It seems only GRUB2 is bombing on that drive for some reason.