External USB3.0 HDD not working on Intel H87 (C2)

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 17:31:42 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 7:15 AM, ppq <ppq at posteo.org> wrote:

> I'm having trouble using my HDD on my F19 PC. I tried several USB3.0 ports.
> The HDD does not make clicking sounds like it gets not enough power, the
> noises are normal.
> The drive is being detected, but there's no device file:
> http://paste.fedoraproject.org/40955/

My Windows based experience might help. I had a new HDD in a USB 3.0
enclosure. I purchased the HDD and the enclosure separately and
installed the former in the latter.

The drive was not recognized no matter what. And this was in Win7 !.

You know what the problem was? PARTITIONING and FORMATTING.

Once I installed the drive in a SATA port, partitioned and formatted
it, and THEN moved it to the USB 3.0 enclosure, the drive was
recognized perfectly.

Apparently the new breed of USB3.0->SATA bridge chips (at least some
of them from ASMEDIA) cannot find the geometry of the drive (or mess
it up) if it's a new blank drive, not formatted or partitioned.

See if this helps.
FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell