Fedora 19, KDE 4.11.1, no login screen

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Sep 22 20:47:02 UTC 2013

On 09/21/2013 07:52 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> somewhere at start of the boot process you need to press a key or whatever
> to see the grub-menu at all because "smart" people decided it is more
> beautiful to hide basic things from users

It's not so much their hiding things from users that I object to, it's
making it the default.  Yes, you should be able to hide the menu if
that's what floats your boat, but it shouldn't start out hidden; it
should (IMAO) start out visible, with a fairly easy method of toggling.
  That way, newcomers to Linux will see the menu every time until they
learn enough (and get enough confidence) to turn it off, and by that
time, they should at least know that the menu's there even if they've
forgotten how to toggle it.  If nothing else, it should be active on a
new install until firstboot runs.  That way, if you need to boot into
either rescue or CLI mode because your install b0rk, you've got the
chance.  (If so, firstboot can always ask if you want the menu, with an
explanation for beginners of why it might be a Good Idea.)