permissions -

Joe Wulf joe_wulf at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 23 21:07:14 UTC 2013

Bob,

In Unix everything is a file... regular files, links, directories as well as the block and character special devices.  These entities you are seeing have a specific purpose to keep the Unix Operating system functioning.

Now, the /bin/ls binary has functionality that allows colorization based upon file type, and other factors.  Yes, like you, I typically work in listings that are black and white for ease of viewing.

The block device for /dev/sdb is used by a driver in the kernel to access that disk drive.  /dev/sdb1, for example, would be the first partition on that disk drive, etc...

Why are you worried about these?