Is there a Fedora equivalent to Ubuntu's Linux-Image-Virtual kernel?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 24 15:47:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:37:32AM -0400, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Is there a virtualized guest kernel for Fedora as there is
> Linux-Image-Virtual for Ubuntu?
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/257416/what-are-practical-advantages-of-using-linux-image-virtual-kernel

No, there isn't, although the Fedora kernel team is looking at creating one
for F21 and beyond. It's mostly a matter of having resources to maintain the
division -- every thing like this has a cost in human time.

As the comment on Ask Ubuntu notes,

  So it is considerably smaller in terms of disk space. I'm not aware of any
  tuning for performance or any functional difference that way, I think it's
  just for smaller images.

and, indeed, this is one of the three big things that keeps our Fedora
images from being tiny. (The other two are i18n and docs, which can be
stripped out, but not in an elegant way.)

Our image is already smaller than Ubuntu's, but it'd be nice to have room
to be that small and also have a few more useful utilities.