desktop/server fedora versions

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 26 01:44:29 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 02:54:59PM +0000, Robin Storch wrote:
> Were the core Fedora versions (up to core 7) the server versions?  Why are
> all the newer releases referred to as desktop versions? Are there server
> versions of the new releases somewhere?

Fedora has always been a general purpose OS, serving all needs from the same
bits. At one of the very early Fedora conferences, we had a session about
developing a Fedora server, but since there was no strong consensus about
what that would actually look like, the basic result was that Fedora server
was a minimal install plus whatever the individual admin wanted to install
on top of it.

For the last few years -- since Fedora 13, I think, although someone can
correct me on that -- we've had the idea of a "default offering", and that
default offering is the Gnome Desktop LiveCD. It's still the same actual
bits of data, and you can install a server just fine, but the "Get Fedora"
experience has been tailored around that.

For Fedora 20, we're adding the Fedora Cloud image on an equal level. Again,
still the same bits, but targeted differently.

In the future, though, for Fedora 21, 22, and beyond, we're working on a
plan to produce three separate products: Cloud, Server, and
Desktop/Workstation. (Exact names and focus to be worked out.) These will
share a common core, but _may_ differ in actual code installed, in order to
best serve each target.