Installing bootloader to sba1

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Fri Sep 27 14:08:48 UTC 2013

On 09/08/2013 08:30 AM, Doctor Who wrote:
> I have a machine on which I want to install Fedora 19.  During the
> install, I'm given the option to install a bootloader, but not 'where'
> other than a disk (/dev/sda, /dev/sdb).  I use a 3rd party tool to
> multi boot, so I would like the boot loader to be installed on /dev/sdb1.
>
> Is this possible to specify during the install?  If so, how?
>
> Thanks.

Yes, it is possible to specify installation into a partition rather than
the MBR.  However, this is NOT recommended with grub2 because there
"may" not be sufficient space for what grub2 wants to put there and
things may get screwed up.

My solution is to have multiboot is to have one grub2 system installed
into the MBR and then boot the other systems from there. This can be
done either using osprobe (which may have stopped working in F20) or
creating you own little scripts in /etc/grub.d/40_custom

Gene