Fedora power management

CLOSE Dave Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Tue Aug 5 16:46:12 UTC 2014

T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:

> What display manager are you using?  `systemctl show
> display-manager.service -pId` will tell you.

# systemctl show display-manager.service -pId
Id=kdm.service

> KDM is the default display manager on the Fedora KDE spin, and KDM is
> ancient and crufty and doesn't even do power management, so I don't
> think you're using it?
>
> I'm pretty sure you have to either be using GDM or lightdm to even
> have power management on the login screen, in which case switching to
> KDM (`yum install kdm && systemctl enable --force kdm.service`) would
> be an easy workaround.

Thanks for the reply. I interpret your comments to imply that, because
I'm using KDM, the laptop should never go to sleep while at the login
screen. Unfortunately, that is not my experience. If the laptop is
closed, it goes to suspend within a few minutes. That is what I'm trying
to prevent.
--
Dave Close, Thales Avionics, Irvine California USA.
cell +1 949 394 2124, dave.close at us.thalesgroup.com

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind,
of what then is an empty desk?" --Albert Einstein