Cannot make a copy of video DVD with k3b

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Fri Aug 8 22:35:21 UTC 2014

On 08/09/14 03:20, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2014, JD wrote:
>
>> You cannot copy TO a dvd with dd, cp, mv ....etc
>> because writing to optical media requires specialized SW like
>> cdrecord.
>
> As mentioned, I've done it.
> Surprised me that it worked.
> That said, it does not work any more.
> 'Tis been a few years since I've done it.

Actually, you can still do that today.  Took me a while to remember this.....

In order to do that you need to access the drive in "Packet Writing" mode.

You can do that after installing udftools and using the various utilities within it to create a packet writing device and associate it with the DVD drive and then format the DVD+/- RW disc properly for use.