NVIDIA X Server Settings thinks I'm not running NVIDIA driver, but I do.

Oliver Ruebenacker curoli at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 02:58:12 UTC 2014

     Hello,

[oruebenacker at localhost ~]$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor
Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [NVS 5400M]
(rev a1)

  Does that also answer the question about which card I'm using, or how
would I find that out?

  Thanks!

     Best,
     Oliver

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 10:10 PM, Nathan Schwarz <nathan at notwhite.ro> wrote:

> Hello Oliver,
>
> would you please also state which graphics card you are using?
>
> - Nathan
>
> --
> /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
> \ /  - against HTML emails
>  X   - against proprietory attachments
> / \  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII_Ribbon_Campaign"
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 09:55:12PM -0400, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> >    Â Â Â Â  Hello,
> >    Â  I installed the nvidia driver via yum from RPMFusion and lsmod
> >    confirms that nvidia is loaded and nouveau is not.
> >    Â  But when I run the NVIDIA X Server Settings (KDE on F20), it claims
> >    I do not appear to be running the NVIDIA driver and should configure
> it
> >    by running nvidia-xconfig as root and restarting the X server.
> >    Â  nvidia-xconfig creates an new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (see below).
> >    Previously, no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file existed.
> >    Â  Then, when I try to re-start X, it will not start saying no screens
> >    found, until I remove the xorg.conf file and then everything is back
> >    normal, including NVIDIA X Server Settings saying that I do not appear
> >    to be running the NVIDIA driver.
> >    Â  Did some googling and followed some advice to set the BusID in
> >    xorg.conf, but did not help.
> >    Â  Any ideas? Thanks!
> >    Â Â Â Â  Best,
> >    Â Â Â Â  Oliver
> >    --
> >    Oliver Ruebenacker
> >    Founder at [1]Relomics Consulting
> >    Be always grateful, but never satisfied.
> >    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
> >    # nvidia-xconfig:Â  version 331.89Â
> >    (buildmeister at swio-display-x64-rhel04-18)  Tue Jul  1 12:08:19 PDT
> >    2014
> >    Section "ServerLayout"
> >        Identifier     "Layout0"
> >        Screen      0  "Screen0"
> >        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> >        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> >    EndSection
> >    Section "Files"
> >        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1"
> >    EndSection
> >    Section "InputDevice"
> >    Â Â Â  # generated from default
> >        Identifier     "Mouse0"
> >        Driver         "mouse"
> >        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
> >        Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> >        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> >        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> >    EndSection
> >    Section "InputDevice"
> >    Â Â Â  # generated from default
> >        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
> >        Driver         "kbd"
> >    EndSection
> >    Section "Monitor"
> >        Identifier     "Monitor0"
> >        VendorName     "Unknown"
> >        ModelName      "Unknown"
> >        HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
> >        VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
> >        Option         "DPMS"
> >    EndSection
> [...]

Oliver Ruebenacker
Founder at Relomics Consulting <http://www.relomics.com>
Be always grateful, but never satisfied.