System starts in emergency mode...how do I recover ?? (as a newbie)

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 23:05:05 UTC 2014

If in a terminal you type "man fsck" you get a simple manual for the fsck
command. "fsck tutorial" at the Google search prompt should yield good info
soon.

 If you open a terminal and do a "cd /var/log" and then an "ls -l" you will
see the system log files.

 A good place to poke around for hints to what is wrong.

 Often people find hints looking at:

 dmesg

 syslog

 Xorg.0.log

 using such commands as:

 tail dmesg #prints the last ten lines of dmesg

 less dmesg #prints several lines of dmesg with response to up/down arrow
to see the whole file - q to end

 cat dmesg #prints the whole dmesg file to the screen all at once

 In your situation I would tend to boot in to the box with a live CD - grab
what was in my Desktop, Documents, Downloads(if not too large), Pictures
directories (under /home/<yourUserName> - onto a flash drive or external
USB drive for example) and then re-load Linux fresh. If you have a disk
failing perhaps time to consider getting and using an SSD (they are
wonderfully fast).

 Also you might look into using Clonezilla to make bare metal backups for
yourself. Saved my bottom many times working with a new SSD (many years
ago) which had a bad habit of loosing it's directory structure about every
6 weeks to three months - apparently a video vs disk hardware bus conflict.
Went away with a bios upgrade.