creating 70-persistent-net.rules

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Aug 25 20:45:41 UTC 2014

On 08/25/2014 03:57 PM, Digimer wrote:
> On 25/08/14 03:52 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> This is on a f20 arm system, but it should be like any F20 system. Yeah,
>> famous last words.
>>
>> So I want a 70-persistent-net.rules so I can specify the MAC address to
>> the device name.  Then in the ifcfg-xxxx I can change the MACADDR to
>> what I want.
>>
>> I got this working on my Redsleeve arm system, but now I need it on my
>> F20 arm system.
>>
>> So I have done a little searching on creating 70-persistent-net.rules,
>> and I come up with two commands:
>>
>> udevadm trigger
>> udevadm trigger --action=add
>>
>> I have run both and no 70-persistent-net.rules
>>
>> help please...
>
> As before, you need to create it yourself. I wrote a little script
> that will do this, which you can see here:
>
> https://alteeve.ca/w/Changing_Ethernet_Device_Names_in_EL7_and_Fedora_15%2B#Writing_The_udev_Rules_File

Thanks.  I used your script to create my rules file:

# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

# Added by 'write_udev' for detected device 'eth0'.
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
ATTR{address}=="02:56:02:01:f3:b9", NAME="eth0"

And that looked good (right madaddr and device name).  So built my
ifcfg-eth0:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE="eth0"
BOOTPROTO=none
NM_CONTROLLED="no"
ONBOOT="yes"
TYPE="Ethernet"
NAME="System eth0"
MACADDR=02:67:15:00:01:78
MTU=1500
DNS1=208.83.67.188
GATEWAY="208.83.67.177"
IPADDR="208.83.67.178"
NETMASK="255.255.255.240"
HOSTNAME="miredo.htt-consult.com"
IPV6INIT="yes"
DNS2=2607:f4b8:3:3:9254:5400:0:188

Something is missing as after the change I restarted network.services
and got IPv6 RA errors.  So I rebooted and now no eth0 listed with
ifconfig (or ip addr show).  So something is lacking.  Almost like udev
is not running at boot?  How do I check this out?