su - Authentication failure - reinstall fedora ?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 31 02:46:05 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-08-30 at 19:50 +0300, Angelo Moreschini wrote:
> I tried to use the "single-user-mode" but I had problem.
> Typing "e" from the interactive menu (to choose the OS) I get the
> message:
> *[0.000000] tsc: FAST  TSC  CALIBRATION FAILED.*

Can usually be ignored.  It's related to an, allegedly, "trusted
computing" hardware device, that could be used if it's there, but
doesn't have to be used to use your computer.

A bit like; I would have preferred to use certain tools to do something,
but they're not the only way to do it.

> In the following line I got the prompt, but was not able to type
> anything there (on the screen).

That sound like the typical USB keyboard problem, that the BIOS can read
the USB keyboard quite early, but the next thing cannot.  Once the
computer has booted it has drivers loaded to read the USB keyboard, and
it works.  I had to change some USB legacy options in my BIOS to get the
keyboard working within GRUB (it's about time the all-singing,
all-dancing, allegedly wonderful GRUB got patched up so that it could
read an USB keyboard that has virtually been the norm for about a
decade, by now).

> Can be that the actual installation is not good.. ?
> (also I am not able to login as root ... the message that I get is
> "login incorrect").

More likely your original presumption, that there's a password mismatch.
I really don't go in for these peculiar mixed character and symbol
passwords, they're too prone to technical and typing error.  And I don't
think they add the security that people think they do.

If your password is going to be a leetspeak version of your dog's name,
that's just as insecure as using your dog's named typed normally.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.15.10-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Thu Aug 14 16:12:39 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.