F20 + Old but unused hardware continually core dumps

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Sun Aug 31 04:12:52 UTC 2014

People,

I have been trying to build a usable PC out of old - but previously
unused hardware (motherboards, CPUs, RAM, 80GB Seagate disks, power
supplies) - but whatever combination I use I continually get core dumps
- I have reinstalled on numerous occasions and sometimes the PC works
for hours without a problem and then fails - but quite frequently it
fails on bootup!  I have tried with 2G RAM but that had problems so I
went back to 1G thinking that one SIMM might be faulty but no
combination works for any reasonable length of time.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=Motherboard&U=en-us0000285

I can't do screen captures of course but I have taken a photo of the
most recent crash and I can see:

- at 21s:

search_binary_handler+ . . .
do_execve_common+ . . .
SyS_execve . . .
Code: . . . string of two digit hex numbers
EIP: . . .
CR2: . . .
--[ end trace . . .
firewalld[461]: segfault at . . .
.
.
.

- at 3308s:

----------------------[ cut here ]---------------------------
kernel BUG at fs/ext4/inode.c:2393!
invalid opcode: 0000 [#2] SMP
Modules . . .
CPU 0 PID: 29049 . . .
Hardware name: /865M01, BIOS 6.00 PG 12/25/2004
task: . . .
EIP: . . .
EIP: . . .
EAX: . . .
ESI: . . .
  BS: . . .
CR0: . . .
Stack: . . .
.
.
.
Call trace:
.
.
.

Code: . . .
EIP: . . .
--[ end trace . . .

I can put this 2.3M photo somewhere if it is of use for anyone to look
at?  Any ideas what the problem(s) might be?  It sort of looks like a
RAM problem to me but ALL the SIMMS can't be faulty . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades