F20 + Old but unused hardware continually core dumps

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Aug 31 18:16:45 UTC 2014

| From: Philip Rhoades <phil at pricom.com.au>

| Any ideas what the problem(s) might be?  It sort of looks like a RAM problem
| to me but ALL the SIMMS can't be faulty . .

When I have a flaky system, I fire up memtest86+ and let it rip for 12
to 24 hours.  I sometimes finds an error.  If the memory passes, I no
longer have niggling doubts.

I've found power supplies can be a source of instability.  But you've
tested that.

Try a really old distro to see it is stable.  Old paths in new distros
don't get tested much.

There are the old tricks of passing kernel parameters to turn off
certain tricky bits like ACPI.  Video is sometimes a problem too.

Your hardware is worth very little at this point.  If you value your
time, you might consider giving up.  But I understand the joys of
scrounging and of problem solving.