gnome-shell won't start

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 07:23:30 UTC 2014

On 3 February 2014 19:40, Stephen Berg (Contractor) <
stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil> wrote:

> I'm having a rather serious issue getting logged onto my system using
> gnome.  GDM starts, I put in user name and password and the login starts
> but I never get a desktop loaded and usable.

What happens exactly?

> Fedora 20
> gnome-shell-3.10.3-2
> Nvidia GT330
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.38.run compiled locally from geforce.com
>
> I've tried the kmod and akmod drivers from RPM Fusion, no difference.  I
> can logon using KDE and everything works like I expect.
>
> Tried the same thing on a very similar machine and got the same results.
>  The only significant differences are the second system has an Nvidia
> GT210, and is using the akmod driver.  The root account can get a
> gnome-shell login working and everything works on both systems.
>
> I deleted everything from my home directory that appeared to be gnome
> related and tried again, still no luck.

As has been posted, I'd try with a new user account.

Right now I'm not seeing a .xsession-errors file in my home directory so
> kind of hard to troubleshoot.  Is some some rc file that I can tweak so
> gnome will log some more verbose status and/or errors? I don't mind using
> KDE, but I managed to get to like gnome-shell and some of it's features and
> would like to get it functional again.

GDM and gnome-session now log to the system journal so check the logs with
e.g. 'journalctl -b'. And also check /var/log/Xorg.0.log .

> --
> Stephen Berg
> Systems Administrator
> NRL Code: 7320