gnome-shell won't start

Stephen Berg (Contractor) stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Tue Feb 4 13:47:30 UTC 2014

On 02/04/2014 06:48 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> One thing you could try is to switch from using GDM to KDM.

Tried that this morning and get pretty much the same results.  I can log
into KDE no problem, gnome-shell from KDM just gets me a cursor and a
background image instead of the black screen I got from GDM.

> One thing that does puzzle me is you said you created a new "local"
> account and it work.  You then moved your home directory out of the
> way, created a new home, and it still failed.  Seems like would have
> also worked.....
I created a local account (/etc/passwd|group|shadow) that worked. All
our accounts here are on NIS, usually with a home directory served via
NFS and autofs from a file server.  I've also tried with a local home
directory and NFS home directory without success.

> Now, another thing you can do....since you have a copy of your home
> directory....would be to make note of your UID/GID of your old account
> and then delete it.  Create a new account and specify the UID/GID as
> before and you should have a "new local account" as you've done before
> and tested...and it should work.  Then, copy back your home directory
> in bits and pieces while logging in/out to see if the problem comes back.

My UID/GID match my Common Access Card's EDIPI #, so it's a 32-bit
number and that account is defined on NIS.  We've got more than a few
accounts set up this way and are migrating all of them slowly. It hasn't
caused any problems so far.  I'd be real interested to find out that the
32-bit UID/GID might be causing an issue.  It hadn't until just recently
if it is an issue.  I know that things were working just fine since I
changed my UID to the 32-bit EDIPI # on February 8th, 2011, which would
have been under Fedora 13 I think.  I've changed to new hardware and
kept up to date with Fedora releases the whole time and this issue is
new just this week.

I also did a fresh install of Fedora 20 yesterday.  Over the last 2 or 3
years my system has gone through a couple of fedup's and I used yum to
get to F20 since fedup doesn't seem to like /boot on RAID1. Figured it
was a good time to clean up any kruft that those upgrades might have
left behind.  I only have a few Fedora systems here, we're primarily a
Scientific Linux shop.  I try to keep mine current with Fedora to have
an idea of what RHEL/Centos/SL will be looking like down the road.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator
stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil