gnome-shell won't start

Stephen Berg (Contractor) stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Tue Feb 4 14:06:28 UTC 2014

On 02/04/2014 07:59 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I see....  Sounds like you may have some strange interaction between NIS/NFS and GNOME.
>
> Have you tried booting your F20 system to run level 3, logging in, and then trying to run "startx" to see if maybe it spits out anything useful?
Just tried that.  Still get nothing but the black screen and cursor.  In
my home directory I have a .xsession-errors file but it's zero byte.
Gonna get one of my co-workers to try his account on my machine and see
what happens if he'll stay in the office long enough for me to conscript
him.  (He's the windows admin so doesn't use his linux side account very
often.)

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator