Best practices for SSD

Wade Hampton wadehamptoniv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 14:43:40 UTC 2014

Is there a current best practices for use of solid state disks with
Fedora 20?  I found an older doc for Fedora 14 and also the Red Hat 6
deployment guide, but both don't have a lot of details.

I have a laptop and am installing a 120G SSD.  Also I plan on
updating an old CentOS server with a single 120G SSD (CentOS 5.10).

Some of the recommendations I have found:

- partition on a 1M boundary
- use native partitions, not LVM (for TRIM)
- mount using relatime (or noatime for CentOS 5)
- mount using discard (or use the fstrim program periodically)
- use EXT4

Other recommendations I have seen recommended:
- move some temporary files to tempfs
- move /tmp to RAM:  /etc/fstab
       tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
- change I/O scheduler by adding "elevator=noop" to boot parms
- reduce swappiness:  /etc/sysctl.conf
      vm.swappiness=1
      vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

Thanks,