Creating multiple BTRFS partitions

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Feb 8 20:46:57 UTC 2014

On Feb 8, 2014, at 10:51 AM, sam tygier <samtygier at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to install with an encrypted /home, but unencrypted /. I would also like to use BTRFS.
>
> Currently if I try to make 2 BTRFS partitions anaconda actually makes 1 partition with 2 subvolumes. This means they will share encryption options. I think this is because anaconda considers BTRFS to be a 'Partitioning Scheme' rather than a partition type.
>
> I also tried creating the root partition in gparted, and selecting it in anaconda, but I am told "You must create a new filesystem on the root device".
>
> The other work around I though of would be to create the partitions as ext4, and then convert them after, and then defrag and rebalance. But that seems pretty inefficient.
>
> Any other ideas?

1. Click on /home, confirm Device Type is set to Btrfs, then click on Modify. In the Configure Volume panel, change the volume name to something sensible like maybe f20home, check Encrypt, and Size Policy to Fixed. Then click Save. Then click Update Settings.

2. Click on /, confirm Device Type is set to Btrfs, then click first on the Volume pop-up and choose to create a new volume and give it a new name. Make sure Encrypt is unchecked. Set size to either Fixed with a particular value or As Large As Possible. Click Save. Click Update Settings.

That appears to work for me, at least it created the layout correctly and starts installing (I killed it at about 1% complete so I'm not absolutely certain it finishes but it should).

Chris Murphy