Installing Linux on a windows hd

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Feb 12 18:34:59 UTC 2014

On Feb 12, 2014, at 11:14 AM, "Powell, Michael" <Michael_Powell at mentor.com> wrote:

> Why did you insist that a computer illiterate person dual boot? One OS is enough to deal with, why would you trouble her with two?

I agree.

> Continue updating Windows XP via Windows Update until everything has been installed, and once done, try updating McAfee again.

I also agree that the first, and least path of resistance, is to get XP safer by ensuring it's updated. And this buys some time for actual budgeting and migration planning, until April anyway. No plan should include XP after even Microsoft has washed their hands of it.

The dual boot plan is risky. But I might be convinced it's workable if the existing XP setup is properly backed up, then fully updated; and the Linux install is to test the waters, familiarization and training. If it's the right direction, by April the plan needs to be the obliteration of XP. And that means obliterating and reinstalling whatever Linux is present and restoring user data.

So… that's a lot to chew off. She's almost certainly better off with a Windows 7 upgrade and leaving well enough alone unless she initiates a preference to move away from that experience.

Chris Murphy