Unit to run as soon as possible after screen mode set?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 16:52:23 UTC 2014

A lot of video drivers, for sure the Intel ones, set up this
stoopid "limited range" RGB output by default, which leaves
my TV looking like it has a thin layer of gauze in front
of it.

I've finally dug up some pointers to some magic intel_write_reg
commands I can run to convince the low level intel driver
to switch back to full range RGB, and I'd like to run them
very very early in the boot process so my screen is readable
even while scrolling boot messages or if I boot in console
mode without starting X.

Anyone know a good place to wedge in a script to run
as soon as possible after the kernel video mode setting
has happened?

P.S. I've been trying to find a way to disable this
limited range nonsense by overriding the EDID info
(which I have to do anyway to convince gnome I don't
have a super high res screen that needs 500 point
characters :-), but there doesn't seem to be anything
in the EDID to trigger this.