Using LightScribe on Linux???

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Mon Feb 17 03:12:36 UTC 2014

On 02/16/2014 09:35 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> I've got a project in which I'll be making many dozens of DVDs from
> other media, and I thought it'd be really cool to use LightScribe to
> label the discs.
>
> well, I come to discover that LightScribe seems to have gone out of
> fashion, and I can't find suitable software anywhere.
>
> LaCie used to distribute software for Linux that reportedly worked
> well, but I can't find it either,... it has disappeared from their
> web site.
>
> Can anyone point me to a site that may still have it? (or other
> suitable substitute).
>
> Thanks!

What you need is LightScribe Simple Labeler. It looks like you can get
it from this outfit:

http://www.pawtec.com/lightscribe/

You actually need two programs--they should both come with the download,
if I
remember it correctly.*  I have been using LIghtScribe for several
years. It does
seem to be out of fashion, nowadays, and I 'm not sure that the LightScribe
company still exists. (Maybe it was Lite-On?) Anyway you can still buy disks
and you can still get drives--I just bought a low-profile internal
LightScribe drive for
my laptop. But this situation is likely to deteriorate, so it would be a
good idea to
anticipate your needs, for hardware, software and media, and buy now!
(The software is free.)

*Maybe they don't.  In my download directory I find

lightscribe-1.18.27.10-linux-2.6-intel.rpm
lightscribeApplications-1.18.15.1-linux-2.6-intel.rpm

The first file is 825987 B, the second file is 9756232 B.
If you can't find these files, send me a message directly--I think they
are small enough
to send without my server complaining.

I see you're sending from Fedora, so these rpms should work just fine.
I'm on PCLOS,
and they work fine for me.

--doug