Using LightScribe on Linux???

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 13:47:23 UTC 2014

On 02/17/2014 10:00 AM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 17 February 2014, Tom Horsley sent:
>> I checked every model HP was selling, and they removed CD/DVD printing
>> from all their new printers, so I abandoned HP.
> Just recently, I went looking for a printer that could print on discs,
> more out of curiosity than anything else, and there's none to be found
> in any of the local shops.
>
> I think that, not only has the concept of printing on discs fallen out
> of favour, but the idea of burning things to disc, too.  Blank discs, of
> any sort, are getting harder to buy, never mind printable ones.  Fewer
> shops stock them, and with fewer options (less brands, less different
> types of discs).  And thanks to changes in media distribution (rental
> shops dying off, viewing things on-line going up, people exchanging
> their "recorded" videos on memory devices instead of DVDs, etc.), I
> think the mass video piracy that pushed the high volume of blank discs
> sales, has diminished.
>
> I work in legitimate video production, anything from filming sporting
> matches to stage plays, etc.  I have a good reason to buy discs in bulk.
> Likewise for businesses that do organised back-ups.  But I can't really
> see much need for the average consumer to have to buy 100 blank discs
> regularly.
>
> It's getting to the point where I'm going to need to special order
> discs, because the shops don't have them, or really crap ones.  I did
> have to go out of my way to buy boxes for the discs.  That's another
> thing that I don't get - shops selling 100 disc tubs of blanks, but no
> disc boxes or sleeves to put them in.  It doesn't make sense.

Where are you writing from? From the spelling you used (the extra "u" in
the "or" words, "s" for "z," et cetera), I gather you write from the UK.

Here on this side of the pond, you can still buy blank media, and in bulk.

I grant you this much: the idea of having all your favorite (favourite?)
recordings on-line, and not stored in your own library, is catching on.
But how large a library can you reasonably afford to maintain that way?
A one-terabyte DVR extender (the maximum that my "cable" provider
supports) will comfortably store, by my estimate, 120 hours of
"high-definition" programming (that is, 1920 x 1080 resolution on a 16:9
screen). Now you can probably store, on average, sixty titles on such an
extender. Add this to the half-terabyte internal storage available on
Motorola's top-of-the-line DVR, and now you have, perhaps, ninety titles.

But as it happens, I have, by my estimate, a thousand titles on various
optical media (BD and DVD). I can swap those easily into my desktop, or
take any of them on the road. A DVD will even serve as good on-the-trip
entertainment on a chartered bus (omnibus?)--and as it happens, I often
find myself elected to provide tour guidance and on-board entertainment
on a forty-eight-passenger bus making a trip to a political rally. And I
have not yet found a bus charter service that provides WiFi-capable
smart media players that can simply dial into an account on Netflix, for
example, and stream out a film. I have to carry my content with me. (And
if you doubt the need for that, let me remind you: even a group of
adults can get the Are We There Yet Blues. Now try to keep a busload of
adolescents entertained without on-board video content!)

There is more. Many operators of CATV channels still "pan and scan"
their titles to the prevailing aspect ratio of whatever definition
("standard", i.e., low definition, or the new high definition) their
channel is rated for. Professional film directors are not the only ones
who resent the "pan and scan" method and insist on letterbox to preserve
the aspect ratio at which *they* shot the film. Until the Alliance of
Motion Picture and Television Producers, and the Directors' Guild of
America, manage to pass a law mandating letterbox for every title shown
on television, this debate will continue. (I don't care what anybody
says: even at the new 16:9 or 1.77:1 aspect ratio in use on HD channels,
you still miss something when you crop the sides of a film shot in 2.3:1
aspect to fit the 16:9 screen.). I know: sign up for Netflix and get the
video stream. Fine, if you're not on the road. (See above.)

Again, I'll grant you: the modern Internet makes available certain
dedicated appliances that can even capture a video stream and play it on
a telly that does not happen to double as a computer monitor. But some
of us still prefer to build our own libraries of motion picture titles
that might show once in a proverbial blue moon, and never show again for
a year or more, and are not available for repeat viewing, and even if
they are, you have to pay $4 US for twenty-four or forty-eight hours of
viewing. Now *that* gets expensive. And you simply can't store enough
titles on a typical DVR--not at high definition, you can't. (Standard
definition is a different story, but I suspect that will become obsolete
within a year or so.)

You asked why the average consumer would ever need to buy 100 blank
disks in bulk, and regularly, or at least semi-regularly. I told you
what I did by buying blank media regularly. Maybe you don't consider me
an average consumer. But it has always seemed a good idea. And it will
continue to be a good idea. Some of us would rather pay about a dollar
US for a blank BD disk, and "burn" two to three and one-half hours or
programming on it, than pay $10 US per month to Netflix for the
privilege of streaming content that might not even include the content
we are interested in. (Just try to find /A Fever in the Blood/, with
Efrem Zimbalist, Jr and Angie Dickinson; Warner Bros. Pictures, 1965, on
Netflix.)

Temlakos