error open ports

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Feb 18 18:19:18 UTC 2014

On 02/18/2014 09:25 AM, William Biggs issued this missive:
> I install chrip for my ham radio but every tip . I try to read the radio
> I get this error on all ports . How do I set the Permission for the
> software for the user I'm using ?
> could not open port /dev/ttyUSB0: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> '/dev/ttyUSB0

/dev/ttyUSB* and /dev/ttyS* are owned by root:dialout and have 0660
permissions. You probably need to add the user that your ham radio
program runs as to the "dialout" group.

You could also change permissions on /dev/ttyUSB0 to 0666:

	sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB0

then run the program.