How do I -

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Tue Feb 18 20:09:14 UTC 2014

On Feb 18, 2014 11:01 AM, "Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA" <
bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

> On 18/02/14 12:02, Jared K. Smith wrote:
>>
>> 1) Boot from a LiveCD or LiveUSB with only one hard drive connected.
>> 2) Rename the volume group on that hard drive (using the "vgrename"
command)
>> 3) Plug the second hard drive, and boot into Linux from the hard drive
>> 4) Activate the other LVM ("vgchange -ay" is a quick way to do this)
>> 5) Mount the other LVM partitions as necessary ("mount
/dev/mapper/blah... /mnt/somewhere", changing the paths to match your
situation, or just use Nautilus to handle the mounting)

>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> -Jared (also from Virginia)
>

> And if I had installed with conventional directories I would simply mount
the other hard drive and extract the information I needed.

> Yet another example of why I should not be installing with LVM, nothing I
do gains anything from LVM, it is just another layer of unwanted complexity
for this Fedora user.

bobgoodwin at wildblue.net <mailto:bobgoodwin at wildblue.net>> wrote:

>>     I have two drives in this computer, sda has Fedora 19 installed on
>>     it, sdb has Fedora 20, both the dreaded LVM's!
>>
>>     What esoteric string of commands is required to permit access to
>>     the Download directory on F-19 from F-20?
>>
>>     At this point I am considering re-installing both using a
>>     conventional directory system such as I have just installed for
>>     Fedora 20 and Centos 6.5 on another computer ...
>>
>>     Any suggestions appreciated,
>>
>>     Bob
>>
> --

Jared is assuming here that you have identically named VGs and LVs. If that
is not the case, only his step 5 applies.  This is a logical leap, because
you are mostly communicating frustration and simply mounting a filesystem
on an LV isn't difficult or fundamentally different from mounting a
filesystem on a normal partition - blkid to list filesystems and their
device nodes, then fstab or mount manually.

If you do have identically named VGs and LVs, did you create them during
installation? Was the older installation visible during the process?

--Pete