Using LightScribe on Linux???

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Wed Feb 19 02:54:08 UTC 2014

On 02/18/2014 08:51 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:12:36PM -0500, Doug wrote:
>> On 02/16/2014 09:35 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
>>> I've got a project in which I'll be making many dozens of DVDs from
>>> other media, and I thought it'd be really cool to use LightScribe to
>>> label the discs.
>>>
>>> well, I come to discover that LightScribe seems to have gone out of
>>> fashion, and I can't find suitable software anywhere.
>>>
>>> LaCie used to distribute software for Linux that reportedly worked
>>> well, but I can't find it either,... it has disappeared from their
>>> web site.
>>>
>>> Can anyone point me to a site that may still have it? (or other
>>> suitable substitute).
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>> What you need is LightScribe Simple Labeler. It looks like you can
>> get it from this outfit:
>>
>> http://www.pawtec.com/lightscribe/
> Doug, I've got both files, and have installed 'em, but so far how to
> use them has eluded me. Is there any docs on them?
>
> thanks!
>
> Fred
>> You actually need two programs--they should both come with the
>> download, if I
>> remember it correctly.*  I have been using LIghtScribe for several
>> years. It does
>> seem to be out of fashion, nowadays, and I 'm not sure that the LightScribe
>> company still exists. (Maybe it was Lite-On?) Anyway you can still buy disks
>> and you can still get drives--I just bought a low-profile internal
>> LightScribe drive for
>> my laptop. But this situation is likely to deteriorate, so it would
>> be a good idea to
>> anticipate your needs, for hardware, software and media, and buy now!
>> (The software is free.)
>>
>> *Maybe they don't.  In my download directory I find
>>
>> lightscribe-1.18.27.10-linux-2.6-intel.rpm
>> lightscribeApplications-1.18.15.1-linux-2.6-intel.rpm
>>
>> The first file is 825987 B, the second file is 9756232 B.
>> If you can't find these files, send me a message directly--I think
>> they are small enough
>> to send without my server complaining.
>>
>> I see you're sending from Fedora, so these rpms should work just
>> fine. I'm on PCLOS,
>> and they work fine for me.
>>
>> --doug

I don't think you need any docs, if the files are installed. You should
have a program
called SimpleLabeler. On my machine it installed on opt. Here's the
whole path:

/opt/lightscribeApplications/SimpleLabeler/SimpleLabeler   *

The last entry there is the actual command. I have made an icon on my
desktop for it.
When I snap on the icon, it will come up with a red background and a
gold disk on it,
and on top it will say "LightScribe Simple Labeler" and on the bottom it
will say
"PLease insert a LightScribe disc into your drive, label-side down."
Then you select "Next>" and you get (1) a window with instructions to
enter top text here
and enter bottom test here (two windows) and a Font selection. (2)
Select border, which
allows you to either have it blank except for your text, or some
designs. (3) Select
LightScribe Drive (I have two on this machine)--this is a scroll up/down.
Then it will ask you how many copies, then Next> And when you see that,
you get
the choice to Burn Label.
That's it. About 4 minutes later, your disk will be labeled.
There is a Help box, but I never opened it.

I would think if you haven't made an icon, then do a
cd /home/your-user-name-/opt/lightscribeApplications/SimpleLabeler
and then ./SimpleLabeler

(If you don't have the files in /opt, then make corrections as necessary.

--doug