packages requiring "httpd" as opposed to requiring "webserver"?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 20:10:35 UTC 2014

HI

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   that might be a *lot* of bug reports:
>
> $ repoquery -q --whatrequires webserver| wc -l
> 20
> $ repoquery -q --whatrequires httpd| wc -l
> 205

You shouldn't do this blindly.  Some packages specifically need httpd and
not just any webserver.  This needs to be analyzed and reported on a case
by case basis.  As you can imagine, this is a lot of careful analysis from
the packager's perspective as well.  I know and can ensure some package I
maintain works with httpd.  I don't know even know how to start some of the
others much less actively test it for each release.  This is why a lot of
package maintainers just depend on httpd directly.

Rahul