Recovering/Restoring Boot Partition

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Feb 21 01:42:41 UTC 2014

On Feb 20, 2014, at 4:27 PM, Don Levey <fedora-list at the-leveys.us> wrote:

>   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1              63   102760511    51380224+   7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

This starting value is from an old partition utility and is often incompatible with grub2, and leads to embedding problems which is one of the errors you're having.

>  Found duplicate PV ViBcLU2wBD0Yv1UCFdxM4LQxAY4mFj1f:

Duplicate PV UUID is a problem. What do you get for pvscan?

> /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: your core.img is unusually large.
> It won't fit in the embedding area.
> /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: error: embedding is not possible, but this
> is required for RAID and LVM install.

You have some mutually incompatible factors: LVM + RAID + a first partition that starts on LBA 63. So at least one of those needs to be altered. I'd say backup whatever you need to keep and obliterate the installation by completely removing all partitions. It's easiest done with the installer's Automatic/guided partitioning by reclaiming space, and choosing the Delete All option; or in Manual/custom partitioning by deleting all existing LVs and partitions.

> I am wondering about the /dev/sda vs /dev/sdc thing shown above, but
> this is a hardware RAID situation; could it be that /dev/sdc is the RAID
> itself while sda/b are the individual parts?

No. Hardware raid will show up as a single /dev/sdX device. What results do you get for lsblk?

Chris Murphy