CentOS and Fedora as alternative OS's

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Feb 21 12:08:12 UTC 2014

Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2014, at 4:49 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

>> I tried to install Fedora-20 as a second OS on my CentOS-6.5 server,
>> purely as an experiment, but it was disastrously unsuccessful.
>
> Be more specific?

Fedora ran fine, and its grub2 entry listed Fedora, CentOS and Windows
(Windows 7 was installed on sda1).
Windows also ran fine from the grub entry,
but CentOS did not - I got a kernel panic.

Also, on running CentOS-6 Live KDE on a USB stick,
and using grub interactively,
I was unable to boot the previous CentOS system -
I got an error message that some modules were not properly signed
by the kernel.

I tried various ways of getting back to CentOS, but none of them worked,
and in the end I had to re-install CentOS on another partition.
This was time-consuming, as it involved configuring 20 packages
(dhcp, sshd, httpd, mysql, etc).

It seems surprising to me that Windows runs fine from CentOS or Fedora grub,
but Fedora won't run simply from CentOS or CentOS from Fedora.
(Incidentally, Fedora was not offered as an alternative OS
when re-installing CentOS, as Windows was.)

I read your advice on setting up a dual CentOS-Fedora system.
However, I was only trying Fedora as an experiment on my CentOS system,
so it is not worth-while for me to go to a lot of trouble for this.

I would be interested to know if I could have returned to the old system
in some way - in particular if there is any way of overcoming
the problem with module-signing.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net