what just happened (time went backwards?)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Feb 27 23:57:15 UTC 2014

On Feb 27, 2014, at 4:42 PM, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> "Lars E. Pettersson" <lars at homer.se> writes:
>
>> On 02/26/14 19:23, lee wrote:
>>> What is the purpose of this log duplication?  When systemd has its own
>>> logs, it doesn´t seem necessary to duplicate them by sending their
>>> contents to syslogd.
>>
>> One could also ask why systemd duplicates the logging formerly only
>> done by syslogd.
>>
>> For me looking through my ASCII-based text-logs created by syslogd is
>> far faster than using journalctl. Things that takes over 25 minutes
>> with journalctl, only takes 66 seconds grepping the syslogd logs. (see
>> bug 1047719, that no-one seems to care about)
>>
>> ASCII-based logs can be read by anybody using any editor. To read the
>> journal you need journalctl, or similar program, as the journal is
>> binary and not readily readable.
>>
>> Another reason is that there still exist programs/daemons/etc. that
>> rely on the logs in /var/log.
>>
>> If you do not like syslogd, well F20 does not ship it anymore...
>
> What I don´t like is unnecessary double logging and hidden log files
> that cannot be read without special software, like binary ones.
>
> How do I disable these binary logs and have everything logged with
> syslogd?

You can't turn off systemd-journald anymore than you can turn off systemd. It's an integrated function. If you don't like the journal you can install syslog-nd or rsyslog.

> How do they think users will ever get a working system with no logging
> and not even an mta installed?

It's an old argument, most users don't have a hard requirement on syslog or an mta, therefore they aren't installed by default but they're still in the repo and you can manually install them. Easy fix.

Chris Murphy