F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jan 1 11:21:18 UTC 2014

On 01/01/2014 04:26 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 01.01.2014, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> I am looking at going with the flow that a notebook should not need
>> an MTA
> Any MTA for just one user will do.

But what's the fun in that?  TPTB have decreed no MTA default.  But CRON
is in by default, so perhaps...

I've thought more about this as I dozed off last night.  ;)  A person
has to be a little informed to use cron, thus they can also be informed
about configuring it to email.  One way or another. Anyone who installs
logwatch does so to get EMAILed logwatches; part of that would be to add
email support.  One way or another.

> You won't even notice that it's
> there. System load and the ability to handle a lot of connections is
> not relevant in this case.
>
>> I will continue to use mutt, for a while, but look at configuring
>> thunderbird to read in the local mail.  I suppose, to follow through, I
>> really should figure out how evolution can do this, but I always uninstall
>> it.
> I've never found anything better than mutt, in all those years..

Same here.  But if local delivery of stuff is a valid solution, that
means there is a person at the system, and typically some email client.
It should support reading the local mail store.  If there is not person
at the system, it is a server of some sort and needs remote delivery of
emails which means an MTA along with all the server components.