announcement --- planned Yum replacement now ready for user testing

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Wed Jan 1 22:13:24 UTC 2014

On 12/20/2013 12:33 PM, Ales Kozumplik wrote:
> On behalf of the DNF team I'd like to invite all the interested Fedora
> users in trying out and testing DNF in Fedora 20. DNF is a tool that
> aims to fully replace Yum by Fedora 22. Please check out the blog post
> for more information:

A question, I found the following on
<http://akozumpl.github.io/dnf/cli_vs_yum.html>

"dnf erase kernel deletes all packages called kernel

In Yum, the running kernel is spared. There is no reason to keep this in
DNF, the user can always specify concrete versions on the command line,
e.g.:

dnf erase kernel-3.9.4"

So if I issue 'dnf erase kernel' all kernels will be removed, and I have
no kernel anymore? Is that really a good thing? Should we not spare the
running kernel? Or is there some rationale behind this that I am missing?

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/