F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 10:54:54 UTC 2014

Hi Chris,

On Wed, Jan 01, 2014 at 08:55:46PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2014, at 7:39 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > More to the point, I find it counter productive to _remove_ important
> > debugging resources/tools irrespective of the technical proficiency of
> > the user of the system.
>
> I switched to journalctl when it first appeared as non-persistent
> logging, by creating /var/log/journal to make it persistent, and
> disabled rsyslog. I'm not a particularly technical user, I prefer the
> parsing options in the journal rather than having to look at different
> files or even different commands.

You misunderstood me.  I was questioning the decision to remove an MTA
on a default install.  The missing "debuging resource/tool" in this case
is system mail, not journalctl.

Personally, I do not like journalctl.  I understand the motivation
behind it, I even see some benefits of an unified logging facility but
the way this has been carried out seems a bit unfriendly to me.  Using
journalctl requires a much more intimate knowledge of the system than
the old "view/grep /var/log/ files" method.  I also notice performance
problems when the journal is big and the documentation is incredibly
obscure.

--
Suvayu