F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Jan 2 12:59:00 UTC 2014

On 01/01/2014 09:39 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 02:25:01AM +0100, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
>> On 01/02/2014 02:17 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> Yes but non technical users wouldn't care to navigate the UI you are
>>> proposing either.   The entire proposal only satisfies a very small
>>> small niche for users receiving root mail and want to control exactly
>>> how they get it during installation itself.
>> Why would they not care? The UI will make them aware of something they
>> probably is not aware of. I can not see that lost emails is a good thing.
>> Better to make the user aware of that that mail exist, and make it easy for
>> them to receive it.
> I'm sorry but I do not see the reasoning behind the assumption:
> non-technical implies "we need to protect them from good practice".
> What does removing an MTA (IOW system mail) serve?  If the argument is
> saving resources, then one could counter argue a non-technical user is
> less likely to care about "saving system resources".

Actually, if you look at Fedora now developing on ARM and porting to
i386 and x86_64 (well this might be a simplification), "saving system
resourses" is very important.  Also we are at the point where a single
core system behaves erratically (does so on my Asus Eee900); fortunately
multicore ARMs are rather common but resources are still an issue.

THe new crop of users are coming from the Android world, not the Windows
world and are expecting the OS chiefs to take care of everything.

And to another note, this is why I expect something like cron-yum to be
in the base in f21.  Users will expect updates to be taken care of for
them.  At least the download waiting for them to do the install.