F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Jan 2 19:53:34 UTC 2014

On 01/02/2014 01:52 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2014, at 5:34 AM, Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se> wrote:
>
>> On 01/02/2014 04:40 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> be exposed in GUI, to me it sounds like an edge case request.
>> Important mail to/from root is not an "edge case".
> So important that by default root isn't informed of these messages?
>
> With sendmail I was not informed of any such messages when logging in as root. Without sendmail, there's been no change in behavior at all. So what am I missing, exactly? How am I missing it?

One of my numerous complaints is that you only get the message about
mail waiting if you have a terminal open.  This should be a system
notification.

Now root mail is a separate issue.  Again, if you tag that user you set
up as an administrator, part of that process SHOULD be adding the
appropriate line to /etc/aliases so this admin user gets all the root
local mail.  Then the GUI should notify of the local mail. Finally,
OOTB, Evolution should be set up to read the local mail store.  For
users like me that erase Evolution, I should be expected to know how to
get my local mail.