NetworkManager

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 2 21:25:07 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-02 at 21:00 +0100, poma wrote:
> On 02.01.2014 13:24, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> > In my view NM is ludicrously over-complicated,
> > and steadily getting more complicated
> > as more and more "features" are added.
>
> Au contraire.
> 'kde-plasma-nm' is the spitting image of both 'network-manager-applet' &
> 'nm-connection-editor', quite straightforward and simple tools to use.
> With proper MBB support.

To Tim Murphy: I agree 100%.  10 years ago linux could be maintained by
a modestly competent programmer and was modestly well documented.  Now
to modify parts of some subsystems, say KDE pim, or LibreOffice requires
understanding and rebuilding hundreds of thousands (millions?) of lines
of undocumented code and rebuilding the entire subsystem.  Is it
possible to make these systems more modular (always good coding
practice), or better documented.  I have never been able to use kmail
because it seems to require akonadi and nepomuk (what are they?).  It's
nice to have applications "just work (tm)", but it's even nicer to make
them fixable when they don't.  About better applets, read on...

To poma: The problem, for me at least, with KDE's "kde-plasma-nm" is
that it doesn't work, whereas Gnome's "network-manager-applet" works
perfectly.  I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to get a laptop
on which I had just installed a KDE Fedora Spin to connect to my home
network, using "kde-plasma-nm".  No connection and no indication of what
the problem could be, though it's possible that I just did something
really stupid like not being finding the "Connect" button or whatever.
Network-manager-applet worked perfectly on the first try; I didn't even
have to enter the hot spot info, which was available from data that I
had entered into NetworkManager using "kde-plasma-nm".  Any advice about
how to use "kde-plasma-nm" or what might be wrong with it is earnestly
solicited.

All the best - jon