F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Fri Jan 3 12:11:39 UTC 2014

On 01/03/2014 12:57 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> It was you who brought in the topic of home servers when this change was
> done only on the desktop live image.  It is not clear from your reply
> whether you were already aware of this fact or not.

Yes, in response to "Yes, all critical notifications are supposed to
stay persistent.  That is the right model to alert desktop users about
anything relevant enough to bother them with. Not emails.".

That (notifications) works on a desktop onto which a user log in, but
not on a home server, that you do not log in to that often. So that was
more a general comment directed to the use of notifications, pointing
toward the fact that mails actually has some merit on some kind of systems.

So that particular comment was perhaps a tad off topic, and was, as I
stated above, directed to the desktop notification system, not the "no
default MTA" as this thread is (or should) be about. But we should
perhaps delay a discussion about that to another thread another day.

> If you find out any single package in the desktop live image that
> requires an MTA to work on the default setup, feel free to file a bug
> report.  Unknown bugs cannot be fixed.

I will make a fresh install in VirtualBox and take a closer look.

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/