announcement --- planned Yum replacement now ready for user testing

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 3 12:22:01 UTC 2014

Allegedly, on or about 02 January 2014, Ales Kozumplik sent:
> In practice however, a user doesn't type 'dnf erase -y kernel' by
> accident and we don't feel the need to protect users who really know
> what they are doing from doing so. It's the same situation as 'rm
> -rf /boot' or 'rpm -e --allmatches kernel'.

I tend to agree, though it's a hazardous possibility, and the sort of
thing that's usually covered by an alias, or required option, to the
command.

While I might well install/upgrade a non-specific kernel.  If I were
going to remove a kernel, I'd be specifying which particular one.  And
those doing something just like "yum update", with no further parameters
(perhaps, other than the less-than-clever "-y"), the installing of the
latest kernel and removal of the oldest one, ought to be automatically
handled the way it always has done (by the update routine).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.