suspend or hibernate

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 3 14:13:27 UTC 2014

Heinz Diehl:
>> My whole family uses Linux and has used hibernation regularly. None of
>> us has encountered problems so far...

Robert Moskowitz:
> It seems to be rather hardware related.  Some works fine, others not.
> My old HP 2400 was great with it.  Not so much my Lenovo x120e.

I concur.  I have an Asus laptop that suspends and hibernates well, and
I think one desktop does.  None of the others do, they fail in different
ways:

Does the hibernation shutdown, then instantly reboots.
Does the hibernation shutdown, but never wakes up (computer won't turn
on; computer turns on, but sits with a dead screen instead of
restarting).
Does the hibernation shutdown, cut craps out while waking up.
Does the hibernation shutdown, but any attempt to wake up just boots up
like any normal cold boot.

And for various computers, hibernation works and suspend doesn't, or not
reliably, or neither.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.