F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Jan 4 01:59:26 UTC 2014

On Jan 3, 2014, at 6:40 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 06:32:43PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> Now there will be some additional users talking to upstream developers
>> to incorporate better means of notification rather than depending on
>> emails that obviously aren't being seen by most peopel anyway, but now
>> with Fedora 20 they aren't there by default either. Like using SNMP
>> for smartd rather than emails.
>
> What I fail to follow is, why break the existing mechanism *before* we
> have these other future notification mechanisms ready?

1. Most people weren't using it.

2. No default MTA does *NOT* break the existing mechanism. It simply requires a minority of users to not be lazy whiners and yum install <blahMTA>.

This whole thread is like someone died. First there's denial, then there's anger, next I wonder if we see more bargaining on the devel@ list to bring back the dead MTA zombie. And when that doesn't work we'll see depression and finally acceptance.

Make it easy, just jump straight to acceptance. Nothing is broken. You can still yum install mta and it works just like F19 did.

Chris Murphy