no base sound on my 2.1 speakers

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 6 22:13:04 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-01-06 at 16:19 -0500, William Biggs wrote:
> I have a set of 2.1 speakers on my desktop the sound card is on board I
> think it is a Intel sound board . but when I try to play any song with
> base there no base . When I open the sound setting the sub woofer is
> grade out  .

I can't speak to your particular situation, nor do I hold myself up as
an expert in the kernel and device drivers, so I am open to being
corrected. But in my experience, Linux support for onboard sound chips
is not very good (as a guess, this is most likely because information
about those chips is not made available to ALSA developers). Usually if
you just use stereo it will work, but, as an example, I have a brand new
ASUS Z87-A motherboard which has an SPDIF out port, but it would never
work. The stereo output ports worked, but not SPDIF. I ended up having
to re-use an old PCI sound card to get surround sound out of that box
(or any sound at all from the SPDIF port). And the same thing happened
with my older machine and it's motherboard, which is why I had that old
PCI sound card in the first place.

--Greg