Fedora 20 Cups pstopxl/gstopxl still broken

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Tue Jan 7 05:42:17 UTC 2014

Was doing a clean install on new Lenova i7 machines for my classroom labs,
and couldn't get the printer to work. Had no problem setting up the printer,
but test prints just resulted in printer stopped.  Tried all kinds of things, and
the Fedora 17 machines were printing just fine.

Finally ran system-config-printer, and was actually able to see an error
message, but it was not correct either.

Was reporting that it couldn't find the file /usr/ib64/cups/filter/pstopxl.

Then I recalled this error from long long ago with an older version of Fedora,
seems that the file was changed from pstopxl to gstopxl, so creating a link to
the correct name fixed the problem, but it was in /usr/lib/cups/filter...

I recall putting this in a bug report or someone else had already done it, but it
was long ago. Not sure why this issue hasn't been fixed? Either have the link
include, or have the printer setup use the correct name.

I've got to get 21 machines setup in just over a week for the start of the
semester. Old machines are 8 years old, so nice to get new ones, but having
to refix a problem that should have already been corrected.

Is there some other method that can be used to make sure this is corrected,
or there another method that should be used.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
ROSETTA      9801631.804879   |   SETI        17197146.741356
ABC         16611686.340441   |   EINSTEIN    14946049.679852