Accessing a Samsung galaxy mini from Fedora 20 via USB.

Andy Johnson johnsonzjo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 13:51:27 UTC 2014

Hi,
I want to access a Samsung galaxy mini smartphone from Fedora 20 via USB.

I am able to do it from windows with Kies (when I plug the USB phone it asks for
USB storage confirmation, and when I press OK everything is fine).

When I connect the galaxy mini smartphone to a Fedora 20 desktop I see
this messages in the kernel log:
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
scsi 4:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SAMSUNG  GT-S5570 Card    0100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk

but fdisk -l does not show /dev/sdb

and:
simple-mtpfs -l
shows:
No raw devices found

Should I install some software on the smartphone to enable access from Fedora ?

regards,
Andy