fastestmirror exclude doesn't seem to be working?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jan 8 04:19:13 UTC 2014

On 01/08/2014 05:00 AM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> I've used the exclude option to exclude .au, .nz. and .cz, and in the past it
> has worked find. Now in setting up new systems with Fedora 20, it doesn't
> seem to work. I'm located on Guam, and it appears that the process sees
> identifies AU and NZ as being closer, but the internet connect to there is very
> slow. Was just doing a yum install, and getting 68K, but campus 100Mb
> connection. Had the same issue with downloading the DVD iso images. At
> first the web link connected me to AU site, and it was going to take 14 hours
> estimate to download. Cancelled and went directly to mirror.kernel.org and
> got the image in about 30 minutes.

Probably not related to your issue, but fastestmirror has never worked
reliably for me - It had a tendency to point me to "dead mirrors", which
had caused me to uninstall and not use it.

> Anyone know of a way to get yum to use US sites rather than geographically
> close sites? Same with the web browsers connecting to sites.

Not exactly what you are asking for, but what could be useful for your
case, could be restricting yum's mirrorlists to a single country:

i.e. to append your country-code to the "mirrorlist" in
/etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo:

mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch&country=us

Ralf