Looking for a Nautilus alternative - under Gnome

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jan 8 13:05:58 UTC 2014

I am not looking at switching from Gnome to another desktop environment,
but the removal of the tree view from Nautilus has hamstrung it for
drag-n-drop. I have worked with it for a couple weeks now, and there are
a number of DnD operations I do that just don't work.  In some cases,
between two Nautilus windows I can kind of live with how DnD functions
without tree view, but even that is hit and miss (constant changing of
focus to where you are dropping, for example of bad behaviour).

On the Gnome list i was told tree view was deprecated.  No plugins, and
I don't know how to even begin writing one.  BTW, I DO turn on 'Navigate
folders in a tree' view, but that is only half of tree view.

So what alternative is there to Nautilus.  I went searching via yumex, I
did not see any obvious other file browser.  Seems there use to be a
number of them?