ssh sessions hang F19/20

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 23:08:10 UTC 2014

Mark Haney <mhaney at practichem.com> writes:
> This might be a simple question, but I'm having trouble with my ssh
> sessions hanging.  I have a server at home that I normally connect to
> via SSH on a pretty regular basis while I'm at work for pen-testing as
> well as checking network latency and other things.

Are you behind a NAT box by any chance?  It is probably timing out your
state after 10 minutes or so of no packets on that tcp connection.

add this to /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

# Set the keep-alive for a heartbeat every 60 seconds and a connection
# close after 30 minutes. -wsr 2003/11/26
ClientAliveInterval  60
ClientAliveCountMax  30

add this to /etc/ssh/ssh_config:

Host *
    # set the keep-alive for a heartbeat every 60 seconds and a connection
    # close after 30 minutes. -wsr 2003/11/26
    ServerAliveInterval    60
    ServerAliveCountMax    30

This adds a heartbeat for both incoming and outgoing connections.  It
should keep your NAT mappings from timing out.

> Keep-alive is set as far as I can tell.  Any ideas?

It is acting like they are not.  What settings do you have?

-wolfgang